[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #1122 Spider Headlight covers

Biba,

To further others comments; the headlight buckets should align correctly
from the inside of the fender if you drilled the holes to mount on the three
inside studs. I did this installation on '71 and '76 Spiders, and it was a
simple job with no bodywork necessary. Both cars had the three rearward
facing studs, and the rectangular slots in the surrounding sheet metal for
the headlight cover tabs. The trim ring Russ Neely mentioned is a thin,
U-shaped item with the U profile facing outwards. This is slipped over the
bare edge of the opening, and overlaps the edge by 1/8 in. or so.

As it happens, a friend just bought a pretty rough Duetto, and is
disassembling the front end. The car has flush-mounted headlights, but no
covers. I will see this later today, and will examine the headlight area to
describe to you. If I can figure out my new digital camera, I will try to
get some pictures. There may be some difference between the round tail and
square tail cars.

George Schweikle
Lexington, KY