Re: [alfa] Re: Re: driving George's car

On Jan 29, 2004, at 10:09 AM, Brian Shorey wrote:

3.0 liter with 'S' Cams, "pandora's box" ECU, Tweaked airflow. around
220 HP @ 7000 rpm. Will pull redline (7250rpm) in 5th gear @22mph/1000
rpms. If you do the math, that comes out to 159.5 mph. Never had it
that high, only to about an indicated 150 (highest mark on the speedo.)
If you've never had it that high, then how do you know?
I don't know that. That's why I didn't actually SAY it had a top speed of 159.5. What I said was that the MATH says it will go that fast - as in 7.25 (x 1000 for the rpm) TIMES 22 mph (the speed per 1000 rpms) so:

7.25 X 22 = 159.5 mph

I've had it to an *indicated* 150 and I suspect even that's optimistic. Even if I had run it to redline, It's still guessing as to the speed because I don't know what diameter of tire were was specified when Alfa worked out the figure of 22mph/1000 rpm. The only way to know what it's actual top speed would be is time the car over a flying mile in two directions and work the speed out from that time and then average the two together. It's hardly relevant, however. You can't drive the car that fast anywhere but on a race course or a German Autobahn anymore anyway (even in Italy, you can no longer drive that fast. Maybe in southern Italy one could get away with it, but certainly not in the north). Even if you could, you wouldn't want to drive the car flat-out like that for long. All a high top speed is good for is to give you a fairly low engine rpm at useful speed. A car like the GTV-6, then could cruise hour after hour at 115-120 mph at just about 4000 rpms. A lesser car might have one driving flat-out to achieve that crusie. Not good for the car, fuel consumption, or passenger comfort. I know, I've done it in a 1600 Twin-spark 147.

George