[alfa] Re: Detailing and Concours

In the recent thread about engine detailing, Joe made a comment along the lines of "...a Maratona would not have a chance in a Concours if there were really nice Giuliettas around...".  Let me correct that common misconception.

The AROC National Convention Concours is a judged event and the cars are placed in classes, so a Maratona would not compete against a Giulietta.  If a particular class is undersubscribed, then classes may get combined, but only if it makes sense.  Thus, GTV-6's and Alfettas might be in the same class.  The best Alfetta Gt will win its class, and the best 750 car will win its class.

I am currently doing a total rewrite of the AROC-USA National Concours Manual, which will be submitted for Board review and comment this week, and will then be available to the membership when it is approved.  Let me stress that each individual car is judged on its own merits regarding condition, preparation, and authenticity/originality.

It is my recommendation that local Chapters use the guidelines of the Manual in doing local and regional judged Concours, but in the case of something like a People's Choice with no classes, it comes down to what pushes the right buttons with the spectators.

Regards,

Arno Leskinen
AROC-USA National Concours Chair
Arizona USA