[alfa] 164 Rough idle

Question about the rough idle- have you noticed that your fuel economy has dropped off a little?

On our 164LS, the flex coupling failed, which lead to a nice sized leak in the exhaust, and to dilute the O2 sensor into thinking that the engine is running lean, so it ran richer and richer.... From a professional standpoint, that design is a disaster- putting a flex pipe before 1) the only exhaust sensor and 2) the entire catalyst system is a system waiting for failure. Add to that, the horrible quality of the coupling.... Which is odd, since the rest of the system seems like very high quality (for production) stainless.

We managed to find a new, and modern, coupling. Our local hot rod exhaust house fabricated it in for me. Works perfectly.

Not that this IS your problem, but it could be part of it, as your symptoms were some of the same we had.

Eric Storhok

p.s.- one MORE change to my turbo post- Jim's customer's Alfetta has a Milano transaxle in it. Needed a GTV6 drive shaft, and some serious work on the clutch to work. There are other details, but suffice it to say, IF you boost an Alfetta, there are a number of things you'll need to do to keep the powertrain together.

AROC Detroit Homepage: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~alfa/index.htm