[alfa] Stonguard by 3M

I too can highly recommend this product, though not from personal use of this brand. I have used headlight guard for many years with no failures. The headlight stuff I stared out using was very thick and quite soft. Over the years harder and tougher material has come out for this application. Having seen the results of a professional stonguard application to my friend's 2003 Audi A4 I can highly recommend this as the best version of this material I have seen. For all I know 3M might have been the first, they certainly seem to have the best (what else is new?).

A car bra makes no sense to me, and I live in a place where we gravel our streets for ice and snow for approximately half the year. If you use a black bra, it is uglier than stone chips and when you take it off you either have different coloured paint where the bra protected it from sun fade or scratched paint from the inevitable "polishing" action caused by bra movement.

The clear plastic film on the other hand is practically invisible, stays on year round, and protects the paint really well from most impacts. Works really well for glass headlight lenses, and also those highly exposed plastic turn light lenses. The stuff works by deforming under impact which spreads the area of impact force from a point to a larger area well within the strength of the underlying material to absorb.

These plastic films do haze over time and some yellow a little, but a new application every five years or so and you're good to go. I believe the 3M product does not yellow and is very resistant to hazing.

Cheers

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner