[alfa] Re:GTV-6 Camshafts

One way that you might be able to tell: Newer Camshafts for the 12-valve V-6 have a distributor drive on the back end of the left cylinder bank cam because that's where the distributor is on the FWD 164s. Since otherwise, the cams are no different, the 164 cams are the only ones currently offered. If this keyed drive is on the back of your drivers-side cam, then they have been replaced. Unfortunately, the converse is not necessarily true; not having the distributor drive doesn't mean that the car hasn't had it's cams replaced with rebuilt older cams or new-old-stock cams, or that the cams weren't replaced before the 164 came out.

George Graves
'86-GTV-6 (WITH 164-type 'S' Cams)

On Jan 15, 2004, at 5:01 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:53:53 -0700
From: "Ritchie, Jason" <jritchie@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] GTV-6 Camshafts

I didn't get any help on my camshaft question so I thought that I might
need to give more info. I have the cam covers off my fairly new to me
1986 GTV-6 and noticed that the cams don't have much wear on them for the
100,000 miles on the car. So I'm wondering if I still have stock
camshafts in it. The numbers that I've found on the camshafts are 119
0003200125. That may be incorrect because it is hard to read the rough
cast numbers. I also noticed something odd with the cam bearing caps the
other night. The drivers side head caps have the numbers 5, 6, 7, 8
stamped into them from back to front with arrows pointing to the front of
the car. The passenger side has 4, 3, 2, 1 from back to front with
arrows pointing to the back of the car. Is one side backwards? Is it
even possible? What doom and gloom would occur if they are wrong? My
memory is telling me that the arrows should point forward in all cases.
Thanks for any help.

Jason Ritchie
Boise, Idaho
74 Spider