Re: [alfa] Re: shims

Dean wrote:

When they are not perfectly flat they will become fatigued at one point and
the shim breaks. It makes a mess at the top of the valve stem, collets and
springs. It is very hard to have a machine finish when sanding the shims by
hand. Many people I know use only original shims. They wont even trust  a
machined one.
Are you saying this applies to Alfa shims specifically? or shims in general. I have heard of problems with larger shims used in other makes.

When I sanded mine I put a piece of sandpaper (400grit) on a piece of plate glass, coated it with oil, and made a small handle that which had a tip that was the inside diameter of the shim. The handle made it easy to keep the force and sanding action perpendicular to the paper. I finished with 1000 and 1500 grit silicon carbide papers which resulted in a near mirror finish.

I tried spotting them on a surface plate, but I couldn't see any height variations.

I'm not too worried, but I guess time will tell.

--Mark
The Alfa Wiki: http://alfa.denovich.org