[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #1075 - Alfetta driveshaft

In a message dated 1/12/2004 2:01:15 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:52:39 -0700
From: "Ed Mackey" <efmackey@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Alfetta driveshaft

Here is a new one for me. My early '76 Alfetta sedan disconnected itself
between the engine and the clutch-transaxle. At the rear end of the front
section of the driveshaft is a spline where the guibo flange fits. Both the
splines on the shaft and the flange splines are gone.
So, I need a new (HA!) front drive shaft and the guibo flange. Those of you
in the know realize that Alfa changed the whole drive shaft design in mid
'76 (why?) so I need the early one.
If you hear a death rattle coming from the driveshaft area of an early
Alfetta sedan - don't ignore it.
APE is looking into the parts problem for starters.
Gee, I could just weld the flange on to the shaft except it may be difficult
in the future to change the center bearing.

Ed Mackey    Las Cruces, NM
Ed,
    My Alfetta sedan was a 1975.   I replaced the driveshaft donuts (we did
not call them Giubos in those days) seven or eight times over the life of the
car.  I did autocross and otherwise run it pretty hard.
    I understand the weaker 1975 / early 1976 driveshaft donuts / Giubos are
no longer available.  I had a new set, but I gave away all my Alfetta cars and
parts.
    Try and find a complete driveshaft from a later Alfetta sedan.  I think
you will need the flywheel, both driveshafts and the front cover for the rear
clutch assembly.  Call David Simmons in Tulsa for help.  David has done this
conversion, but I have not.
    The later drive shaft has improved Giubos and will last much longer.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City