[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #1070 Voiturettes and Russian steel

Digesti,

Here's my two Lira for digest #1070:

Mark Manley probably heard the term Voiturette (most likely still spelled
incorrectly); used to describe a racing formula with regulations resulting
in slower cars than Formula I. I think the formula may have varied, but
engine size was limited to 2000cc.  I believe the pre-WW2 Alfa 158's were
constructed for this formula, as was a Mercedes that only raced once but
beat everyone else. The cars were later called formula 2, and several of the
Grand Prix races just after WW2 were run to this formula. Thats my
recollection. Stay tuned for the people with better librarys or memories to
add their comments

During the time of Alfa's official withdrawal from the U.S. market, the Alfa
Owner magazine listed a chronology of significant events during the time the
cars were sold here. One item was the date that "Alfa began use of Eastern
Bloc steel". Eastern Bloc was the euphanism for the European communist
countries.

George Schweikle
Lexington KY