Re: [alfa] Victory by Design

"Voiturette". The French term for an open automobile (I believe it only applies to open cockpit cars) is voiture. A voiturette is a "little" voiture. Between the wars, there was a racing class for small, open cockpit cars (sort of like Formula 3 today) called the voiturette class. Mostly 4-cylinders and less than 1500 cc capacity if memory serves. OTOH, the French sold, before WWII, a number of brands of very small cars which they called voiturettes and the British called cycle-cars. These were tiny little cars with little more than motorcycle engines in them. Amilcar was a particularly famous French brand. If you ever see a 1953 French comedy (and a very funny one at that) called "Mr. Hulot's Holiday" with Jacques Tati, the silly and very ugly looking little backfiring car he drives that seems as if it has only room in it for one person, is an Amilcar Voiturette. But this has nothing to do with what Mr. deCadenet was discussing. Hope this clears it up for you.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6

On Jan 10, 2004, at 9:42 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 22:20:13 -0500 (EST)
From: "Mark Manley" <WarpOMatic@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Victory by Design

 	I was watching some of the Victory by Design shows
and the host used a term I've never heard. He used it when
referring to both cars and race events I think. My guess at
the spelling would be "watcherette" or "vocherette" maybe.
Anyone out there have a de Cadenet to Mark translator?

                                    Mark Manley

Tulsa,Ok
'84 GTV6
X1/9 x3