[alfa] SU (was: acronyms)

After "side updraft" was offered as the meaning behind SU, Joe Elliott identified it as standing for "S.U. Carburetors (as in the name of the carburetor manufacturer--what, if anything, it actually stood for, I don't know, but I'm sure somebody like John H. would)". James Montebello responded that "SU stood for Skinner's Union.  I believe they were involved in leather manufacture prior to getting into the carb trade.  They may have been involved in making leather seals in the very early days of motoring."

Right, mostly. I had heard long ago that it was originally the Skinner's and Tanner's Union, a tradesman's guild, but that seems not to be the case. In 1903 George Herbert Skinner bought a Star automobile, and in 1904 he and one of his brothers worked on improving the carburetion; the resulting design (patented in 1905) was manufactured by George Wailes & Co. as "The Union Carburetter". Shortly thereafter Wailes apparently sold out to the three Skinner brothers and it became the S.U Carburetter.

The father of the three brothers was in the footwear distribution business, and the patent application gives "shoe and boot manufacturer" as George Herbert Skinner' occupation, which undoubtedly contributed to some confusion.

I am surprised that anyone would have thought that SU might have stood for "side updraft". As opposed to what? Top updraft? Bottom updraft? Sidedraft, updraft, and downdraft seem pretty complete. There have been some necessary variant terms in various languages, but I would have thought "side updraft" would have piqued curiosity.

John H.