[alfa] RE: Oil leaks

> So let me reiterate the question:  Is oil leaking from the
> outside of the head gasket a *bad thing*, or can it be lived with
> as long as the oil and coolent aren't mixing?  Mabye it's just a
> matter of time before the leaks get more serious, and then it
> will be a moot point...I'm trying to avoid any major engine work
> until after my last smog check, at which time a TS will replace
> the current engine...

Not to contradict the esteemed Bernie as he is quite knowledgable wrt to
Alfa's.   However, oil leaking between the head and block is symptom of a
failed o-ring in the oil passage.  This is the most usual mode of head
gasket failure.  Sometimes the o-ring will rupture on the side or back and
leak oil into the coolant, sometimes it will just piss oil out the gasket to
the air.   The good news is it's a very easy job.    I think 4cyl Alfa head
gaskets are about the easiest head gasket job around.     Alfa did a very
good job (whether on purpose or not) of making their cars very easy to
service in the 'old days'.  Once the 80s rolled around, the Bosch Spiders,
GTV6s and Milanos are a challenge to put it nicely.

You can literally do an Alfetta head gasket in about 2 hours.

The best way to diagnose this is to get the car good and hot, then use some
of that Gunk and a high pressure hose to clean the engine completely.   Use
some brake cleaner on the stubborn goo.  It will penatrate the thick
deposits and soften them.   Then change the oil, filling to exactly the fill
mark.   Give it a couple of weeks of regular driving and look for new leaks
and oil consumption.

If you don't already know how to do the head, check back with me or the
list.  I can give you step-by-step.

-Peter