[alfa] V^ oil pressure sender

The oil pressure sender on my 2.5 Milano(75) may be going bad (I hope that
is the problem!!).  Typically I have seen 20 psi at idle & 55+ at speed
(>3000 rpm).  Been that way for 45,000 miles in my ownership (now 118,000
on car). Suddenly I get zero at idle (when hot) and around 50 psi at >3000
rpm (15 - 50 at lower rpm).  Based on all other Alfa's I've had or have, I
would consider this fairly typical but............!
Two questions;

1.  I've got a new sender unit and it looks like a PITA to R&R from between
the V and close to firewall.  Before i start modifying wrenches does anyone
have any good tips for the R&R?
2.  Anyone installed a mechanical gauge and what fittings are required - I
seem to remember its an odd thread & not typically available in US (how
about UK?).  Thought this might help clarify if another problem or not>

Any suggestions, tips etc welcome.
TIA
Have a safe & good 2004

Ralph
Houston TX
ps:  Another random thought;  Did an oil/filter change at beginning of
month.  Could pressure relief valve in filter (OEM Alfa) have gone bad &
lead to low oil pressure?

Ralph
Houston, TX