[alfa] 164 running costs

In my opinion it costs no more to run a 164 than any other fine European car, over the long run.

I keep meticulous records for tax purposes and I can assure you that the 164 compares favourably to my 86 SAAB 9000 Turbo. I also have a 97 SAAB 9000 Aero which costs slightly more to run.

Beware of the 164 that has been neglected, as for any fine European car, as delayed maintenance just compounds the longer it is delayed. Regular servicing and timely repairs pay dividends in long term trouble free motoring.

My Aero failed me once, broken transmission! SAAB/GM acknowledged they should not do this so sold me a rebuilt for one half list price. That was at 125,000 km (70,000 miles) and 5 years old.

My 86 9000 T failed me once, dead battery. I now replace the battery when it starts to get weak instead of when it dies, about every four years. That occurred at two years and 35,000 km (20,000 miles) and needless to say I do NOT buy a European battery as replacement. North Americans make excellent and durable batteries.

My 164 failed me once, seized AC electromagnetic clutch pulley failed and seized the shaft. At, 100,000 km and 8 years. Expensive component but the new one is still good.

That's not bad for reliability. As for repairs, the 164 also had the steppers replaced and the input shaft bearing on the manual transmission replaced with the upgraded part. A new radiator and one new battery (the factory supplied AC Delco lasted 140,000 km and ten years, impressive, a new AC Delco is in there now) as well as the run of the mill switches and rear lamps control unit (I'm on my third one of those), T- Belt service (very important to do these changes regularly at 5-6 years or 70,000 km whichever comes first. Old belts are not a good risk. A new water pump with every second belt and a new tensioner with every belt are good ideas. Also, the cam seals should be done at least every other cam belt change.

In short, if you are afraid of repair and maintenance costs buy a Toyota or Mazda, and possibly die of boredom, or buy a 164 and get that silly grin on your face ever time you go for a drive. Makes the milk run seem like the Mille Miglia, worth every penny.....

Cheers

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner