[alfa] Please talk some sense into me

Hello everyone. I've been lurking on this list for awhile and this is my first post.

I've long had a soft spot in my heart for Alfa Romeos, and am toying with the idea of buying a 164. Specifically, I'd get a 164LS with manual transmission.

What keeps me from taking the plunge, however, is the fear of frightening upkeep costs -- and, after reading this list for awhile, the thought of a timing belt/tensioner going awry and causing some serious, expensive issues. Basically, I'd love to hear some input on what upkeep costs are like, and also how much work can be done by a reasonably handy owner. I have a Mercedes-Benz and an Audi, so I'm no stranger to expensive parts and service. I just have a sinking feeling that Alfa ownership is in another league entirely.

In doing some research, I've read that stepper motors and LCD readouts can be problematic, and that maintenance records are important and more indicative of a good car than just mileage.

Any input you can provide is incredibly appreciated. Thank you for your help, and hopefully the information everyone provides won't be enough to scare me off from Alfa ownership. :-)

Thanks,
Mike