[alfa] Octane, headlights and traffic lights

The 164 requires 91 Octane fuel according to my owner's manual and shop manual. I am sure my V6 would ping on lower octane fuel, it is borderline using 91 octane in our 91, 12 valve 164 under some conditions.

Higher octane fuel than that for which the engine is designed is not only a waste of money, it wastes power also. There is more energy per unit volume in lower octane fuel precisely because the higher octane fuel has "non-fuel" additives to increase the octane number. These burn but do not release as much energy as gasoline would. Also, a bugbear of mine is apparently some gasoline uses ethanol to get a cheap octane boost, but the energy available from this gasoline is actually less than if proper detonation limiting additives were used. suspect Chevron has gone this route with their 94 octane I buy whenever I'm in BC as my SAAB turbos no longer like this fuel as much as they used to.

I am currently using Shell Canada gasoline in all my cars, after eschewing it for a while. In Calgary, where we begin driving at over 3,000 feet (approx 1000 meters) and drive up from there, lower octane fuel is the norm and 91 is now the max we can buy. We used to get 92 from Esso (Imperial Oil Canada's Exxon ) but it is no longer available. My turbo SAABs run extremely well on Shell's new formulation ( If you believe the advertising, which I do because my knock sensors tell me there's something new about the Shell gasoline around here) giving me higher peak boost in both my relatively primitive 86 9000 with APC ( the first knock sensor feedback turbo boost control system) and my later 97 Aero with the full Trionic system. In fact, the boost pressure is so good in the Aero my brand new clutch can be made to slip at peak torque output in top gear, actually it starts to slip at around 2,500 rpm in fifth if I lift then get back on the gas, the peak boost goes off the end of the scale and the clutch begins letting go a tad. Try Shell and see if you get better performance. They claim a smoother burn rate for better power without necessarily a higher octane number. Your market may vary however because gasolines are formulated differently for different markets.

As for HID headlights I believe they MUST use automatic headlight levellers or oncoming driver's will be dazzled by even the low beams. I know Audi has these for example on the A4 with the great headlights in Canada at least. I think the problems come from aftermarket conversions with these lights using no auto levellers. The irony is that the older (back to the late 60"s) European halogen lights that are still not legal for factory equipped cars coming into the States are far superior to even the latest DOT spec with PIAA or Sylvania super white bulbs. On low beam you get that sharp cut off that gives great light at normal US night time highway speeds with no dazzle to oncoming. Not legal to build cars with these for sale new in the good ole USof A. Crazy.

I changed out my stock 9005/9006 bulbs with PIAA bulbs on my 97 SAAB Aero, with DOT headlights, at great expense and the lights are improved but still totally inferior to my 86 9000 with Euro spec lights running the now hard to find H4 bulb (old technology now, but way, way better than my 97 SAAB DOT crapola) Since it is perfectly legal to use Euro lights in Canada I'm looking for a set of these for my 97 Aero. The Alfa 164 seems to have barely acceptable lights already, even though I think they are DOT.

As for excessively bright traffic lights these might be the new LED type. These have several advantages: brighter, more directional light, one or more LED burning out doesn't materially affect the light making repairs simpler, and very long "bulb" life. For our Northern latitudes we need bright traffic lights as the low sun angles in winter can wash out traffic lights fairly easily, with catastrophic results. We seem to be switching over to the new LED fairly rapidly and they are great, except for the excessive brightness under some conditions. On a side note, many of our buses and trucks are going to LED taillights and they look really practical. Life of the vehicle service life, good light, and if an LED or two does fail, the light still functions adequately. Now if we could get a strobe effect to indicate ABS activation, and an intensity variation with brake line pressure, with LED lights we'd reduce rear enders substantially, IMHO. These additions are technically quite feasible, probably far more effective than the goofy daytime running lights that probably only work well because people consistently misuse lights on their vehicles (DRL's that illuminate only the front of the vehicle are top of my particular list as the rear has no lights but the driver frequently is unaware of this! A close second is use of fog or driving lights when neither is appropriate, rear fogs are another problem altogether, great safety feature if uses when needed, otherwise, very bad dazzle)

Cheers

Michael

(mad cow be damned, we had Alberta Prime Rib for Xmas dinner, you guys don't know what you're missing if you haven't had Alberta beef...)
Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner