[alfa] Re: Battery Relocation

> The previous owner of my 1974 Spider put the battery in a
> marine box and relocated it to the dead center of the trunk.
> I would like to move it back to its original location in the
> engine compartment. As I do not have the original positive
> cable, I will fabricate a new one. That is, unless someone
> has one they want to get rid of.
>
> My question are: how is the wire snaked to the starter? Does
> it run between the engine and the firewall, in front of the
> radiator, under the engine, or some other place I haven't
> thought of. Does the alternator wire run to the starter or
> the battery? Any description, pictures or drawings would be
> of great assistance.

Mike,

I relocated my battery from the engine compartment to the trunk and I
agree with the other that this is the way to go.  Even though I did this
to add air conditioning to my 71 Spider, I still ended up with more
working space (i.e. oil filter change out).  Look at my web site
(www.knology.net/ortak)under "71 Alfa Romeo Spider Restoration" then "AC
Conversion" for a picture of the battery mounting position that I used my
the trunk.  I installed one of the plastic brackets that came with the
battery case on the trunk wall and looped the web strap through it to hold
the case in position.  If you still want to relocate the battery to the
engine compartment then the original battery cable routing on my Alfa was
from the alternator, along the back side of the motor mount cross member
to the starter.

Good Luck

John