[alfa] Re: el water pumps

    Thanks for the input George.  I was thinking of using one in a 4 cyl
mid engine project I have in mind where the space is limited.  With a closed
thermostat most engines just recirculate coolant, the t-stat blocking return
to the rad.  This also gets heat to the heater faster.  If there's no
circulation at all - even with cold coolant - wouldn't the engine overheat
pretty quickly?
    Where do you get these pumps and who makes them?  There was an AU firm I
looked into a few years ago (Craig, Davies?) that was just entering the
market.  Kinda pricey at $200 or so, IIRC.  Probably need a heavy duty alt
to run them, which would increase parasitic drag somewhat, but probably not
as much as a mech unit.  It would be interesting to try one out anyway, tho
you'd think that if they are such a good idea why aren't they widely used?
Cheers, Ron.