Re: [alfa] RE: What is your confidence level in the Milano V6?

I have complete confidence in the V6 and the Milano as a whole. What I don't have confidence in, is a car that is 15 years old, with 145,000 miles, and years of deferred maintenance.

A very smart man said "You can't pay too much for an Alfa." The point being that when buying an old, well used car, you should shop for one that has been also well maintained (and be happy to pay the premium.) Avoid anything with serious rust issues (wheel arches are no big deal)... Trust me on this one, it's just no fun.

I am unfortunately a bottom feeder when it comes to Alfas. By exploiting various financial loopholes, I can more easily bring home another $900 Milano, than I could a mint $5000 one. Sure I'll need to order a ton of parts and do a ton of maintenance, but that's all under the budgetary radar. Such is the way in the denovich household.

Things to replace on an old Milano: Transmission and engine mounts, guibos, brake hoses, every bushing, possibly tie-rod ends and ball joints, water pump, timing belt and tensioner, and all hoses in the engine compartment.

Maintanence to do: Clean all the grounds and electrical connections, change/flush all the fluids. Chase rust.

Once all that's done you will have a very solid car. I just had mine out in the snow here, and it's a blast to drive... 1 part Ferrari, one part tank. The only thing that would hold me back from a long trip now is a good set of rims. I have a ton of "phonedials" and I still don't think I could make one set that was truly round. I plan to get some aftermarket forged rims this spring.

There is a bunch of info and links on the Alfa Wiki:
http://alfa.denovich.org/
And there is still some good info that hasn't found it's way onto the wiki yet at the old Milano Resource:
http://denovich.org/alfa/sikand_mti/milano.html

--Mark
1.5 1988 Milano Verdes
1976 Spider