[alfa] Boots bonnets and trunks

Not only do British cars wear boots and bonnets they also have wings, and more than a few have hoods.

My favourite automotive bilingualism is Shooting Brake for Station Wagon. Of course, nowadays the executive car market has changed the Shooting Brake nomenclature to Estate Car, very posh (which for those interested in etymology was an anagram for port out starboard home, the way your passage by ship to and from India should be booked for maximum comfort)

The most puzzling British useage is nearside and offside, cars that is not football, which I assume means driver's side and passenger side respectively (or is it vice versa?), but the logic of this useage escapes me. Logic cannot determine which should be correct.

Cheers

BTW, Until the US changes its unique automobile manufacturing legislation you are doomed to a diet of less and less interesting cars, more expensive cars, and the ubiquitous and absurd SUV phenomenon. Not only will Alfa never return, neither will many others. Just carefully examine the lack of choice you have as consumers of automobiles compared to the 60's and 70's. Not to mention how ugly most NA spec models have become. At a certain level a boring looking car is just ugly.
Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner