[alfa] Spider Stereo Solution

I spent a lot of time, effort, and money on the stereo in my 1987 Spider
Veloce. I'll take some pics later...
Nakamichi head unit- 1 disk unit with built in controls for a disk changer
(which I never installed and probably won't). I chose the Nakamichi unit
because it looks very plain and matches the interior very well- especially
considering the green tint lighting at night. Performance is superb- except
I seem to have more problems with CDs skipping recently. Unit is 3 years old
now. Oddly- the clock is fast by a couple of minutes a month- Alfa digital
clock on the console is always perfect!
Large Nakamichi amp behind the seats. Discarded the original package tray
and made a new one from MDF. It sits about 4" higher than stock, and is
nicely supported in the rear by an existing lip in the sheet metal at the
perfect spot. Had a new carpet made for the shelf (including Velcro in the
front per stock) and unless you see mine side by side against a stock shelf
it is undetectable.
BTW- the upholstery shop where I had the carpet made did a great job-
including Velcro and edging- cost me about $25 and they did it while I
waited- about 15 minutes- maybe less! I just had them make the carpet- then
put it in myself. I was shocked by how quickly and cheaply they could do it-
and they had a perfect match for the original carpet in stock.
In the shelf- cutouts near stock positions for 6-1/2" Cerwin-Vega 2-way
speakers, and a cutout behind the driver's seat for an 8" JL Audio
subwoofer.
The amp is mounted above the Bosch computer on the passenger side below the
shelf. A large gauge fused cable goes directly to the battery through an
existing opening between the pass. compt. and the trunk.
The problem with the amp here is heat. I have installed two fans with
ducting for cooling. Intake on driver's side on the new vertical riser I
made for the shelf. It is a stock Radio Shack piece with some ducting from
Home Depot and home made brackets. Exhaust fan on passenger side. Air gets
blown over the unit any time the stereo is on (connected a relay to a
switched aux output from the amp). Cooling system helps, but still not
perfect. Running with the top down near full volume in the hot Miami summer
still overheats the amp. Thermal circuit in the amp causes intermittent
drop-outs until I turn the volume down to about 75%.
Installed component speakers up front- 5-1/4" Rockford Fosgate in stock
location in kick panels under stock grilles, and a tweeter mounted in the
door panel in the thick plastic section just above and behind the door pull.
Yeah- it's not stock, and it caused a lot of anxiety drilling holes for the
tweeters, but the end result is well worth it.
I get frequent compliments on the sound even at highway speeds with the top
down, and the installation looks good- without detracting from the stock
look (by much).
BTW- the head unit and amp I used have been discontinued, but Nakamichi has
similar units available currently.
If you would like pics or more details, send me a note off-list- it would be
my pleasure.

Best Regards,

Ray Manners
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce