[alfa] Of emissions etc!

Hi All,

A little while back whilst chatting off-list with one of the AD subscribers I
mischievously enquired if anyone had any data of the emissions to be expected from a steam
powered car.  Many forms of alternative power are regularly suggested but steam is almost
always discounted for various reasons.

Well, as luck would have it I already had the answer to my question, I just didn't realise
it.  My brother from the UK visited me a few back and brought with him a collection of
magazine called Light Steam Power, sadly now aout of print.  During a quiet day I sat down
to page through some of the old copies.  Blow me down there is a comprehensive article on
the emissions of steam powered cars published in 1967!

It was performed by the Mobil Oil Company at the request of Ford, Detriot.

It makes very interesting reading and I am sure Eric Storhok will give his expert opinion
on the results.  Perhaps Eric can dig into the archives at Ford and turn up the original
papers?

The measurements were made at the time when emissions were becoming a serious problem for
all automobile manufacturers.  The comparison is made between a steam powered car and the
1968 emissions limits ruling.

Here are the results.

Internal combustion specification

Hydrocarbons   275 ppm
Carbon Monoxide  1.5%
Oxides of Nitrogen  1,500 to 3,000 ppm

Steam powered car - measured results

Hydrocarbons  30 to 40 ppm
Carbon Monoxide  0.3%
Oxides of Nitrogen  25 to 35 ppm

The test engine was a Williams steam plant fitted in a Ford bodied car and the engine had
about 25,000 miles on the clock. (Williams had sold about 250 Chevelles fitted with their
150hp steam plant with a 4 cylinder Uni-flow engine and a monotube steam generator.
The company also manufactured a 300hp version for buses and trucks).

A Ford spokeman said at the time "The tests on the William's powered car was part of
Ford's
normal research effort and should not be misconstrued as to the fact that Ford was
considering changing to this technology".

The performance of the Williams steam powered car was stated as being every bit as good as
the best i.c. powered car but had superior acceleration, quieter and less vibration and no
gear changing, the engine was geared directly to the rear axle and hence in traffic the
engine was never required to waste fuel unnecessarily by idling.

Makes you think?

John
Durban
South Africa