[alfa] Alternator conversion on Giulietta

Hi Guys,

I have a 59 Giulietta that has been converted from a generator to an
alternator by two owners back.  The alternator has failed recently and I
am about to replace the unit.  So far I have learned that it is a
Motorola unit (don't have the p/n handy).  In the process, I would like
to see if I can improve how the alternator is mounted.  Presently the
alternator is placed high up on the driver side of the engine.  Two
metal bars have been fabricated to hold the top and bottom portion of
the alternator (one bar is attached to lower part of the engine where I
suspect the original generator was mounted and one bar is attached below
the cam cover on the front of the engine) and a tensionor is attached to
one of bottom bar to keep the belt tight.  Ideally I would like to
position the alternator closer to the body (I believe that is where the
generator used to be) and if possible remove the tensionor.  I have
access to machining equipment so I can fabricate metal pieces if
necessary.

Searching the archives, I found the discussion below that provides hints
to the original conversion.  However I can not find the articles
mentioned in the posting.  Anyways I appreciate any help on this...

Thanks,

David

- - -fitted an alternator to a 101 car?"