[alfa] Re: Car Audio Question

Larry Rose wrote:

> There have been references in passing to hidden or secret car audio systems,
> but nothing that's convinced me one way to go is the best.  So how about
> this:
>
> What if I got a portable AM/FM/MP3 player, which range in size from Ipod size
> to cell phone size, hard wire a power converter, and run a line from the ear
> bud port to an inexpensive amplifier in the trunk, which would power the usual
> in-door speakers?
>
> The portable player becomes the head unit, it can hold 2-5 hrs of music, and
> there's a radio, and I'd bet the audio quality will satisfy me -- I certainly
> wouldn't want to drown out the exhaust sounds.
>
> Will this work?

Here's what I've done (not exactly what you're suggestin', though):

First, I have a cd burner in my 'puter.

Second, I purchased an inexpensive piece of software ($20) that allows me to convert
cds or other music formats to mp3 format.

Third, I also have some software that lets me digitally record some of the music
streams I listen to on the 'net (mostly blues programs & space/ambient stuff). By
recordin' in mp3 format I get about 24 hours of music on ONE cd. I've actually
converted some of my favorite music cds to mp3, too.

To play the cds in the car, are anywhere else I desire, I got a SlimX cd player (which
is a little larger than the diameter of a cd and about 1/2 inch thick) which plays
Windows media, mp3 and cd formats. With the batteries in the unit and the external
battery pack (2 AA) it plays for about 13 hours (this was determined on my trip to
Florida this past summer). The unit also has an FM tuner built in.

The real "trick" part is gettin' it to play in the car: this is done by pluggin' in a
device called an iRock (uses 2 AAA batteries which last about 8 hours on a charge) into
the SlimX headphone jack and the audio output is converted into an FM signal (with 4 or
6 possible channels to choose from) so as long as its within 10 feet of the car antenna
or the audio unit it plays thru the car stereo FM receiver when you tune into the
designated FM channel - WIRELESSLY!

On my travels I really enjoy not havin' to mess with anythin' for the duration of the
trip (except maybe change the batteries on the iRock). On the way to Florida and back I
didn't even finish listenin' to 2 of the 10 cds I took along. And it works great with
any FM radio or stereo/tuner setup. I went campin' recently and took it and a portable
radio and we had music in the evenings.

On long trips I also take the AC converter for the SlimX so I can recharge the
batteries for it (this takes about 8 hours, but you gotta sleep sometime!) and a small
battery charger for the AA & AAA batteries, so overnight everythin' is recharged and
ready to go the next day. I do travel w/ 2 sets of AA & AAA batteries and keep 'em all
charged so I can actually play tunes 16 hours a day if necessary (the iRock is the
limiting factor, although I guess I could carry 2 more AAA batteries for 20 hours of
playtime w/o a recharge). If you haven't figured it out, I only use rechargeable
batteries.

As far as skippin' cds are concerned, I've had no problems on very washboarded dirt
roads. Security wise, it all fits into the glove box of my GTV6 (obligatory Alfa
content). In fact, I can play it from there, although I prefer havin' it closer at hand
if I decide I want to change programs while on the move. Just be sure you're very
familiar w/the operation of the unit before you try usin' on the road or it could be
hazardous to switch programs or somethin', but not much worse than changin' a cassette
tape or cd while drivin'. It can be more of a challenge at night, although the display
can be programmed to stay illuminated longer, but playtime will be reduced.

'nardo - hooked on music as well as Alfas
'83 GTV6 w/411,016 (s)miles at the moment
Alpine, Texas