[alfa] Help - Stuck in Houston - Spider for sale

I left my home in Waco this morning and headed to Houston to visit my seriously ill mother. I encountered some difficulty on the return trip just outside of Houston near Hempstead. I left the car there while I'm trying to find transportation home. I simply don't have time to mess with this car at the moment and had been considering selling it anyway. I'll gladly part with this for an even semi reasonable offer. I have the capability to return with a trailer and haul it home if I have to but circumstances are such that I just don't want to deal with that at the moment. If you want a great deal on a red 76 Spider, now's your chance.

I've owned this car since about '95. It was purchased from Basically Italian in Dallas. It was essentially a car assembled from various spares around the shop. The engine was completely rebuilt and has always run reliably, strong and smooth. It has a weber conversion. The body is straight, the top is a bit ragged on the inside but looks fine on the outside and has no major leaks. New door panels were installed about three years ago. The seats are from an Alfetta and a bit ragged, but covered with cheap fake sheepskins. It has an almost new set of 15" Panosport wheels with Toyo tires. The car looks sharp on the outside. It's biggest weak points are that it needs interior work and the floor pans are serviceable but rusty. I have an original set of 14" turbina wheels to go with it. They don't look all that great, but they ran true and smooth. I think they have an old set of Michelin's mounted on them.

I think the current problem with the car is a failed rear wheel bearing... maybe something else in the rear end but most likely the wheel bearing. The driver side rear wheel is not spinning freely. When I exited the freeway for a routine stop, the brakes didn't work as well as normal (probably because one wheel was VERY hot). By the time I slowed I was hearing all sorts of awful noises from that area and the drivers side rear wheel was seriously smoking. At highway speed nothing seemed unusual. I assumed that the parking brake (which I know from being in there a while back) might have failed and locked up. I removed the disk and all of the parking brake gear. It did appear overly worn and one of the shoe hold down pieces was missing. The main brake caliper and pads looked normal and seemed to be in good condition. I reassembled that wheel without any of the parking brake gear thinking I'd solved the problem. As I tried to drive away I heard the same unusual mechanical noises from the area of that wheel. When both rear wheels are jacked up off the ground and the car is in neutral, the passenger side wheel spins freely and the drivers side is extremely difficult to turn. I'm fairly certain but not positive that this isn't a brake issue.

The car has current Texas registration. The inspection sticker is expired (the horn needs to be rewired). I have a clean title.

If interested email me at bob@domain.elided or call my cell at 254-722-8810 I'll tell you where you can look at it. At this point, I'd rather part with this car for a very low price than deal with hauling it back to Waco.

Thanks

Bob Smith