[alfa] Biba's cutout problem

At 05:03 AM 11/24/03 +0000, you wrote:

Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 18:09:26 -0700
From: alfacybersite <acs@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Bleeding air out of the radiator, etc.
<snip>
If the favorite part wasn't there would have used car's cutting out as a
great excuse.

Made it there a-okay, had a great talk and brunch and then She quit
running on me twice on the freeway going home.
I began having a similar problem. As with Biba, my car has the Marelli Plex. Symptom is a sudden and total lack of spark, causing the engine to quit, but no other electrical symptom. Over time I have discovered that the problem lies in the small white plug that connects the thick white distributor wire to the coil "pack" (actually the "module"). That plug has two female wire connectors, one wide and one narrow, that connect to the male spades on the module. Obviously, there is either a broken wire or bad crimp in the plug. I swapped the coil pack which did not resolve the problem. Every time I've fixed the problem on the side of the road, it involved jiggling the white plug at the coil pack/module connection. Most recently a more sophisticated repair involving a small rag stuffed under the plug to apply pressure to the spades has worked with no further failures.

I have a vague recollection of a problem with Plex wires, but don't remember the details.

P.S. to Biba: I'll take that Plex off you hands...

//kct, Powell, TN