From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of
Brian Shorey
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2003 9:07 PM
To: 'alfacybersite'; 'AD'
Subject: RE: [alfa] Automotive reliability

<snip>
> How many out there have a computer with some version of Windows? My
> understanding is Gates stuff is being used extensively in automobiles
> like the drive-by-wire steering systems.
>
> Your operating system ever crash? Did the operating system in your '55
> Chevy ever crash?
<snip>

We've had this discussion before.  I think somebody mentioned that most
aircraft utilize some sort of drive by wire system.

I'm less leery of it now than I was.  I guess you just need to consider the
MTBF of the computer controllers, vs the MTBF of the conventional linkages.
However the failure modes might be more abrupt with the drive by wire
system..

I seriously doubt Windoze is being used for these kind of systems, given the
hardening they are subjected to.  Most use some sort of real time OS, afaik.

The Gates stuff in a car would most likely be Windows CS, for the
entertainment systems, etc.

bs