Re: [alfa] Engine rebuilding and maintenance abilities

> The following parts have been replaced:
>
> New magnetic pickup
> New ignition control module
> New distributor cap
> New distributor rotor
> New ignition wires
> New sets of spark plugs - NGK BP6ES, Bosch +4R #089, (currently) NGK
> BP7ES
> New 4.5 to 6.5 psi Facet electronic fuel pump
> New rear fuel filter
> New Filter-King filter
> Fresh clear fuel filter between Webers to be used as a sight glass
> Any flex fuel lines showing even minor cracks have been replaced
> New (non-original) Bosch starter relay simply because the other was 18
> years old.
>
> Labor:
>
> Checked fuel vapor recovery valve. It was okay. However, never got a
> whosh from removing gas cap.
> Checked (several times) ground / continuity - okay. 13V to fuel pump
> both when off and running.
> Double checked ignition setting pointer on waterpump using a dial gauge
> in #1 spark plug hole.
> Have timed ignition using a quality timing light both on the somewhat
> retarded end since the MarelliPlex has a rather shallow timing curve.
> Seemed to run best at slightly retarded from when max advance  lines up
> with 'M' at 5500 rpm, hot.
> Obviously removed and replaced all parts / items listed above.
>
> Perhaps I'm missing some Labor or Parts, but that should be the
> majority.
>
> Should anyone else care to print out and take to your Professional
> Mechanic, by all means do so and if more than one winning answer
> arrives, the first in, which solves the puzzle gets the checks.

What I didn't see listed here was any checking or work on the gas tank itself.   If there's crud in the bottom, or you p*ssed someone off and they did the old plastic bag trick on you, it would exhibit these symptoms.

Brian Shorey just mentioned the car he bought from APE a while back that he tried to drive back to the east coast.   I think it had very similar problems which turned out to be the tank itself.

I would drain the tank and drop it and have it checked out.  If that turns out to be the problem, send me the checks, I need more go-fast parts for the Verde.

-Peter

'87 Verde
'86 Spider
'67 Super