[alfa] paint job

I haven't had time to keep up with all the postings on this but here's my
two cents worth:

I did all the prep work on Project Alfa myself. I had planned to spray it
myself as well but the logistics and the mess were just too much to deal
with so I took it to Maaco and paid $799 for a base clearcoat. The car was
still disassembled with doors, hood and trunk lid all separate. I spent at
least a week masking everything off including the entire underside. I had
them spray the clearcoat a bit heavier than normal and when I got it home I
did all of the cut and polish finish work myself. It cost about $150 in
supplies and materials and took about 3 weekends to do.

The results were very good. You've got to be real careful when buffing along
the scallop lines, you can't be in a hurry and just do one panel at a time.
It's a lot of work and that's why a really good paint job can cost you $4000
but it's not that hard to do. All of the materials can be purchased. You
need 2000 grit paper, sanding blocks, squeegees, a couple of grades of 3M
compound, and an orbital buffer with either the 3M or Meguiars buffing pad
system.

Paul Irvine - Antioch CA
Project Luscombe - http://home.earthlink.net/~vintageair/luscombe