RE: [alfa] vapor separator system/increasing hp

Thanks Jason,
That idea sounds crazy enough that it just might work! j/k

I still wonder if it would increase horsepower or just reduce wear and
tear?  Also, the description of the first stage you mention sounds like
the stock setup.  The second stage sounds like a legit method of
removing vapors, and I think it would certainly prevent positive
pressure in the crankcase.  I wonder where the ideal location to tap
into the exhaust line would be?

Vizard describes a two-stage crankcase pressure reduction system in the
book "Tuning BL's A-Series Engine", with the benefits claimed to be
reduced work for the oil rings, so much so that the rings can be
somewhat detensioned and still be effective, reduced oil dilution in the
intake charge, leading to less octane loss from dilution, and reduced
windage losses in the engine from pumping air around the crankcase. the
first stage is venting to the intake manifold, which at idle is under
vacuum and will draw pressure from the crankcase. the second stage
involves running a vent pipe into the stream of exhaust, in line with
the flow direction, which draws pressure as exhaust gas speeds increase
in non-idle conditions. an anti-reversion valve is required for the
second stage to avoid blowing up the crankcase in the event of a
backfire. for effectiveness, says Vizard, the engine should be air
tight, which he defines as able to hold 15-20" H20 vacuum, meaning that
the dipstick and distributor holes would need to be addressed. also
required is a good oil-vapor separator.

it sounds like an interesting idea to me. i've never seen it on any car.
anyone ever try something like this? maybe Andy will volunteer his car
as a guinea pig...

- -jason frautschi
annapolis, md