[alfa] Re: Milano on craigslist.org (SF)

 My info may be state specific, but I believe it is Federal. Most cars
donated to "charity" do not go directly to the charity. They are received and sold
by "fundraisers". The charity then receives a portion, usually 5-10%.  The
deductibility comes when you donate, not when you buy. Charities are not allowed
to appraise (since it costs them nothing, they would be in competition and
offering ridiculous appraisals to obtain property). The deductible amount is
between you and the taxing authority, you may have to obtain your own appraisal.
    From the sound of things, the automobile has been donated to the charity
directly, not a "fundraiser". Still, you are receiving "value" for the sum
given. I do not see how that could be deductible. (Not a tax accountant. The
"donation" business is so juicy, that I looked into starting one. A surprising
number of charities turned me down. They didn't want money from "sources like
that". The most directly responding charity is now broke and selling its
assets.).
Tom Faust