From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided]On Behalf Of
Kevin Trent
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 6:45 AM
To: alfa@domain.elided
Cc: Jon Pike
Subject: [alfa] Re: Transmission, bell housing sealants

At 05:15 AM 11/8/03 +0000, you wrote:
>What is a good compound to use as a sealer on the faces of the
>transmission and bell housing?

Did mine this weekend and used Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket, part number
3D.   This 16 oz plastic bottle has a cap/brush, it is a black gooey
tar-like consistency, and is applied to both mating surfaces.  My bottle is
probably 20 years old - one container will last a lifetime for most non
professionals.

Use ~ 15 lbs of torque when assembling the transmission halves.  Excessive
torque will squeeze the gasket sealer out from the joint.

///kct, Powell, TN