[alfa] Spica adjustment

Even though I have several 'how to' set up and adjust Spica units
decided somewhat to 'vamp' it.

Will admit I'm also sending this off to Wes Ingram. Poor guy. I've used
this rather morbid expression before - if Wes was dead, he'd be turning
in his grave - but haven't found a more appropriate one.

To repeat: '79 Spider engine was running 'pretty well' so decided to use
in another car without an internal rebuild - piston / liners / valves/
bearings, etc. Removed and am now prettying up and also going over
'specs'. Valve clearances for instance were quite off. In replacing the
long Spica rod felt simple is better. (Perhaps too simple?).

The thermostatic actuator popped up (under hot water) pretty well but
seemed a bit anemic. My theory was / is to simply make the dummy
actuator the same length as the real thing, once hot - which I did. Had
trouble adjusting 'gap' with dummy actuator in place and consequently
removed large 'inspection vertical plate'.

Seems as though the pin which holds the rocker piece which in turn moves
the control unit input lever closer to the reference screw (as engine
heats up) had broken its weld and was pulling out.

Cleaned thoroughly with carb cleaner and hammered in, but not quite all
the way. Put a good dollop of JB-Weld all around pin, and finished
hammering in.

Installed 'adjusted' dummy actuator and adjusted gap to 19 thou. and
installed long and short rods.

Care to comment? Anyone? Any one at all?

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA