RE: [alfa] Re: coolant disposal

Cool............just wanted to make sure and to do so in a respectful
manner.  I'm always horrified when I hear of this practice being
implemented.

Sadly I live in an area where community wells and cess pools are the
norm, so pouring my used coolant down the drain is not an option.

TJ

> Absolutely.  The distinction is between sanitary sewer, which handles
> wastewater and goes to the treatment plant, and storm sewer that
handles
> rainfall runoff flows to some sort of surface water.
>
> I did not in any way mean to suggest pouring antifreeze down a
street drain.
> I believe that's both illegal in some places, and stupid everywhere.
>
> Dean

Area.
> 	Many of these drains are so marked and indicate not to dispose
of
> 	automotive chemicals in them.
>
> 	TJ
>
> 	> My work involves dealing with the environmental impacts of
> ethylene
> 	and
> 	> propylene glycols in the fluids used to deice aircraft.  Both
> 	ethylene and
> 	> propylene glycol are basically liquid sugars, and they
readily
> 	biodegrade.
> 	> The additives are typically the major issue in the impacts of
> 	deicers, and
> 	> I'm sure they are an issue with coolants, but they generally
are
> 	degraded as
> 	> well in the biological treatment process.  The standard
method for
> 	disposal
> 	> of spend fluids is discharge to a sanitary sewer.  The
advice to
> 	pour spent
> 	> coolant down the drain is sound.
> 	>
> 	> Dean Mericas
> 	> Ann Arbor, MI
> 	> 1974 2000 GTV
> 	>
> 	> >Some chemist or biologist please correct me if I am wrong,
but
> 	> >I was under
> 	> >the impression that coolant will decompose in nature.
There are
> 	enough
> 	> >natural flora out there to take care of small quantities
over
> time.
> 	> >The real danger is of poisoning any animals happening by
who lap
> it
> 	up,
> 	> >because it tastes sweet.  The toxic byproduct of digestion
is
> 	> >oxalic acid,
> 	> >but this can be avoided by...wait for it... drinking
booze!  I
> 	> >actually saw
> 	> >this recommendation on an MSDS:  medical care will be
delayed
> 	> >several hours,
> 	> >give the patient three to four 1-ounce oral "shots" of
> 	> >86-proof or higher
> 	> >whiskey before or during transport to the hospitalmedical
care
> will
> 	be
> 	> >delayed several hours, give the patient three to four 1-
ounce
> oral
> 	> >"shotsmedical care will be delayed several hours, give the
> 	> >patient three to
> 	> >four 1-ounce oral "shotsmedical care will be delayed several
> 	> >hours, give the
> 	> >patient three to four 1-ounce oral "shotsmedical care will
be
> 	delayed
> 	> >several hours, give the patient three to four 1-ounce oral
> 	> >"shotsmedical
> 	> >care will be delayed several hours, give the patient three
> 	> >four 1-ounce
> 	> >oral "shotsmedical care will be delayed several hours, give
the
> 	patient
> 	> >three to four 1-ounce oral "shots"If medical care will be
> 	> >delayed several
> 	> >hours, give the patient three to four 1-ounce oral
> 	> >
> 	> >"shots" of 86-proof or higher whiskey before or during
transport
> 	the
> 	> >hospital."
> 	> --