[alfa] RE:Setting differential backlash?

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:03:31 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
From: Sonny <maxid@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] I am planning to replace the differential of my 164 with
one from a Lancia. Lancia uses the same transmission, but with an
external viscous coupling limited slip.

I have the option of getting the work done in a facility that has Alfa
expertise, but seems unfamiliar with the process of using shims and
measuring tools to set the backlash of a differential. The Alfa and the
Lancia differentials are supposedly manufactured to the same dimensions,
and I will be using my existing ring and pinion gears, so my question is:
in this situation, is it likely that I can just have the differential
replaced using the old shim(s) and be OK? Should I get new bearings and
races while I am at it?

Sonny
91 164 S
Which models/years Lancia?

Graham L. DavisVarious AlfasSt. Louis, MO