[alfa] Re: [Alfa Racing]: Falken Tires

Peter,

The reason for Falken Azenis popularity is their use in SCCA Solo II Street
Touring class where DOT tires must have a minimum tread wear rating of 140.
The natural selection process of finding the fastest time has identified
these tires as the thing to have for Street Touring. Stock and
Street-Prepared classes must also use DOT rated tires, but with no tread
wear restrictions. These are the classes using "R" compound tires with the
Hoosier A3S03 compound (Radial construction) generally accepted as the
stickiest. These are not suited for more than a few laps of road course use,
but the same tire is available in R3S03 compound for track use. The Khumo
Victoracer and Ectasa are just a little bit harder, but are very popular
autocross tires, and can be used for lap track use. They also have tread
(compared to the Hoosier Radials which are essentially slicks with two
grooves) and I know people who drive Khumos on the street. There are new
A3S04 and A3S04 Hoosiers available replacing the "03" versions with claimed
longer life, improved turn in, and higher cornering force. Hoosier also
makes Bias constuction R compound DOT tires with the Autocrosser now only
available in 13 in. rim size, but the Street TD is a popular, treaded,
vintage tire with multiple sizes available.

This tire wear rating issue can be taken with a grain of salt; one of the BF
Goodrich Team TA officials once told me the values are assigned by
manufacturers with no common Standard. My Hoosier A3S03 tires are marked
"40". The old Autocrossers were marked "0", and my Street TD tires are also
marked "0". Go figure...

George Schweikle
Lexington, KY