[alfa] Sight Glass Question [was Re: Biba's cutting out...again]

Hey Biba,
    I was thinking the sight glass you were talking about was the float bowl
on the carb - remember those old American carbs circa the '40s & '50s?  But
now I remember you have Webers - no sight glass in the float bowl - right?   So
is the sight glass you are talking about is the inline filter?
    The sight glass getting full overnight might be explained by cooling off.
 The air you see in the sight glass will contract when it cools down
(pV=nRT).  Any residual gasoline pressure in the line will just compress the air as
the engine compartment cools overnight.
    But I think the fact that you are seeing air in the sight glass while the
engine is running is interesting.  I don't have any experience with those
types of filters.  I would have thought it should be nearly full all the time if
the pump is supply enough gasoline to the carbs.  Any signs of air bubbles
would indicate that the float valve on the carbs (Webers use float valves to
control fuel level - right?) are accepting more gasoline than the fuel pump is
delivering.  So air bubbles are getting from the float chamber back into the
filter.  This doesn't sound right to me.  I would have thought that with a
properly running fuel pump, the lines and filter would be charged and all air would
be purged from the system.
    Are any other Alfisti running an inline filter with sight glass?  How
does it behave?

Cheers,
Charlie

PS  As you can see, my experience with fuel systems is restricted to
Rochesters, Spicas and Bosch.  I don't know the details or guts of the Webers.  (But I
did have a downdraft 2bbl Weber on my Pinto, for what it's worth!  Actual
factory stock!  ;-> )

In a message dated 10/23/03 5:28:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time,