[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #893

Karl,
When I first started driving my 91,164L last year the fuel smell at low tank
levels wasn't too bad but once I filled the tank the smell became unbearable.
I finally traced the leak to the top of the fuel tank in the center of the
trunk. Take the trunk drape out, (it isn't as hard as it looks) and get in the
trunk and have a look at the rubber elbow hose on the fuel fill vent line. The
line runs from the fuel fill neck to the center of the top of the tank. Mine
had rotted away and every time I braked the fuel would slosh forward under the
rear seat bottom. The fuel soaked the insulation and attacked some of the
underseal. After I repaired the vent line I took the seat out and washed the foam
with some good lemon scented spray cleaner. I then left the seat out upside
down in the sunshine to air out for a couple of days. The insulation was beyond
hope as it had been thoroughly soaked with fuel and smelled terrible. I removed
it and got some neoprene closed cell foam insulation from a local boat
upholstery shop and duplicated the pattern. I scraped the damaged undercoating off
of the trunk floor and resprayed the whole area with new rubberized undercoat.
Three days later I put everything back together and we haven't had a problem
since.
Thomas A. Gonnella
(Skip Patnode's buddy)