RE: [alfa]Proper engine break in

> The Alfa reccomendation for customer break in,  where you stay under a

> certain rpm for a certain time, used to be common in new cars,  and
now
> is not.  I've wondered what exactly has changed?  Do they do bench
break
> in?  Different materials, or different surface prep?
> Different philosophy?

This is one of those topics that comes up on the list from time to time.

During one of those threads, I speculated that engine manufacturers
today broke engines in, perhaps prior to installation, to weed out the
bad ones and reduce the possibility that it would be done improperly in
the customer (or dealer) hands.

I had a bunch of people tell me a manufacturer wouldn't have time for
that, but then a digester who works for an auto manufacturer confirmed
what I had suspected - that at least some manufacturers run the engines
through a sequence of 'tests' that also serve to perform some sort of
break in under controlled circumstances.

So, in my mind, there is a huge difference between what you can do and
how you can drive a car with a new engine off the dealer lot, and how
you can drive a car with a freshly rebuilt engine.

YMMV, I know what's worked for me in the past and I'm not about to
change..

bs