Re: [alfa] 164: Error Code 1221 and Engine Oil Level Warning Light

Daniel:

If the engine starts and dies, the oil level warning light will come on. If you turn off the key and remove it and reinsert it, the error condition which kept the light on cleared and the oil light would be off. That red warning light is unnerving.
Best Wishes,
Bernie Bennett
Brenham, TX

Daniel Devaney wrote:

My mechanic suggested that I ask for suggestions on how to diagnose/attack, in
a 91 164L with automatic transmission:

1. Error Code 1221 (Airflow sensor). I assume this is related to my warm/hot
start problem when the engine starts up OK but then dies unless I rev the
engine. Once I get the car in gear with revs above idle, the engine seems to
run fine. Using my limited skills, I was able to check the door flap in the
airflow unit and it does not seem to be stuck. Cold starts are fine.

2. Engine Oil Level Warning Light--always on. I don't know whether this is
related to the recent installation of a new AC compressor (thanks AlfaBill!).
Engine oil level appears normal.

I have the Service Manual and the Electronic Manual. My mechanic and I would
appreciate any suggestions for the next steps to cure these issues.

Thanks,
Dan in Honolulu
91 164
93 Spider Veloce

This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it
is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and
exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended
recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited.  If you think you have received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail or by telephone
(808)521-9200, and delete the original message.  Thank you.