[alfa] Alfetta Battery and Noisy Tires

I just replaced the eight year old Interstate MT-34 battery in my
'79 Alfetta Sprint Veloce.  I tried starting one morning and there
was no power left at all (no instrument lights with ignition on).
The specific gravity in most of the cells were <1.15. What I was
wondering, and this is something that I noticed every time I
reconnected the battery, was why is there arcing when I connect
the ground cable to the battery?

The ignition is off (no key in the switch) and the doors are
closed - so I wouldn't think there would be any current draw.
There aren't any problems with the charging system (since my
battery lasted 8 years) and the battery does not discharge. Just
wondering.

Also a comment on the recent thread about tires: I replaced my
Dunlop D60 A2s (195-60/14) with Dunlop Sport A2s (195-65/14). I
also replaced the radius rod bushings. With the new tires, the car
feels like it has power steering and I can go over speed bumps
without too much concern. The only problem is the tires are very
noisy above 30 mph. The tires don't seem defective and they were
balanced on a Hunter GSP9700. It just seems to be a characteristic
of this tire and the car, unfortunately.

Leslie Wong
1979 Alfetta Sprint Veloce
Pacific Grove, CA