[alfa] road trip!

Esteemed Digestives:  Well, I've purchased the '73 Berlina that Andrew
Watry posted here on the Digest a couple of weeks ago...sight unseen, two
rather large states away. (Silly me.) When I bought my Spider about two
years ago, trucking it up from SF to Seattle cost $400. but I was
surprised to learn that rates have risen appreciably...best quote I've
gotten so far is $500, and most are in the $650 to $700 range. SO, if I
can't pull a magic-cheap-trucking-coup here in the near future, I'm in
for a flight to Sacramento to see what I've bought, and a road trip back!
 If anyone knows any trucking industry secret passwords that will get me
a discount, or tricks to reduce my costs, or Alfisti coming north from
Northern California with room on their trailers, I'd be pleased to hear
of them. I've asked about back-hauling, but the trucking companies all
say that their rigs are full both ways these days, so they don't give you
a discount for that...Renting a truck/trailer one way is even more
expensive, so that's not going to work, and rail doesn't seem to be
responding to my requests for quotes.  At any rate, I may very well be in
for a Damian Magista-style Berlina road trip within the next couple of
weeks. I read the posts to and from Damian as he was preparing for his
jaunt, (which, by the way, he recommends, and says went swimmingly!) so I
have a feel for what to bring and which route to take...If any
digestibles are on the route twixt Sacto and Seattle, I might alter the
route a bit to stay nearer to them, in case of major problems. And I have
the cell phone all warmed up and ready to rock. (The *most* important
road-trip tool). Any words of wisdom as I prepare for this would be
welcome. I have great respect for the knowledge, skill and heart of this
group...I've seen it displayed over and over again here.                                                     Ciao
for Now,                                                     Pat Hood,
Psyching myself up in Seattle
 '78 Spider                                                      '74
Berlina parts car                                                     '74
Berlina parts car...well, tiny bits of one. Need parts?
'73 Berlina keeper...waiting for me at Barber's Shop