[alfa] TS Bottom End Strength

Biba says <Every engine has an eventual weak point, just wondering if the TS's
is
in fact the bottom end.>

Well there are of course many variations on the TS theme, but I assume the TS
you mean is the all alloy engine with chain driven cams that started the whole
TS thing off for Alfa in the 75 and later the 164. (Later TS in 156 have iron
blocks, cam belts and are totally different...and far less robust).

As to weaknesses, there seem to be blissfully few in normal day to day use. I
can't speak for racing units which will inevitably accentuate any inherent
weakness. For the most part they simply start to use oil at about the 200,000
mile mark. I have heard of very rare instances when the crank plugs have come
out, they blow the odd head gasket (as do we all I suspect). They need the odd
water pump....about twice a decade. They seem to put up with abuse.  I don't
think there is a better engine. I have driven behind three examples none of
which have ever missed a beat over a total of about 130,000 miles between
them.

Electrical problems are not unknown, and with two distributors and a simple
VVT there are bound to be glitches, but I am going to stick my neck out and
say that the 164 Twin Spark is probably the most reliable Alfa ever produced,
if one takes its bullet proof mechanicals along with the well  rust proofed
bodyshell and general build quality. You just have to read the small ads for
the 164TS to know just how long people have hung onto them with fondness.

As to engine efficiency I know things have moved on a lot, but my eleven year
old 164TS without a catalyst produces emissions figures that are very close to
the maxima allowed on MOT emissions test for cars with a catalyst. Max CO
allowed for cars with cat is 0.30% Vol. My car produced 0.32% vol without cat.
Max HC parts per million allowed for cars with cat is 200ppm. My non cat car
produced a 146ppm figure. (A cat car typically produces zero CO and between 10
and 15 ppm HC  from the old MOT readouts I have)

Most second hand TS engines you come across have only one fault. They are
simply worn out from the high miles they have covered. This is what I call the
NBC factor.No Bloody Cambelt!

Tim Hancock    Boston UK

164TS
164Super