[alfa] Re: Engine cleaning (and detailing)

On Tuesday, October 14, 2003, at 04:10 PM, alfacybersite wrote:

George Graves has certainly done his homework regarding red wrinkle
paint. As mentioned the wrinkle sample I viewed at the powder coating
shop just didn't look 'real' to me. Real, in this case, being comparable
to a good wrinkle (regular) paint finish. It was very glossy (possibly a
dulling agent could be mixed in (though don't know how one would go
about mixing it in to powder). Possibly just spraying a dull clear coat
over the finished powder coating would work. Unfortunately the benefits
George points out to having a powder coated finish would be lost.

Or George, did your powder coating guy have it in a semi-gloss to dull
finish like the real deal?
The red powder coat that the shop I used employed was NOT glossy, but rather was flat - like any good wrinkle paint should be. Same for the black wrinkle that my air intake plenum on top of the motor was finished with. Like I said, my only real complaint was that the wrinkle paint that Ferrari and Maserati uses (used) on their engines had a very coarse wrinkle. This applies to the re wrinkle on the air-intake plenums on the current 360 Modena as well as the sand-colored wrinkle paint on the intake plenum of the current Maserati. The powder coat that this shop used was very fine and sand-like, but it is very even and very consistent. It looks good.

Not trying to nitpick good information but wonder if any of the original
red wrinkle paint on Ferrari cam covers still exists.
Certainly Ferrari still has access to the proper kind of wrinkle coat as they still use it on the Modena, Maranello and Enzo (red) and on the Maserati coupe and spider (sand-colored). I suspect these too are powder coats. But they probably have it made for them. After all, when you're Ferrari....

 Has to be tough
not taking any Ferrari to the 'ultimate'. Regular wrinkle paint gets
dirty, is very hard to clean, chips, and soaks up oil in the valleys.
That said, so what are the Ferrari guys using for a match as to the
'correct' finish on their (perhaps supposedly) Testa Rosa cam covers?
Like I said, the local Ferrari service manager told me that when they have to touch-up a Ferrari valve cover or cast intake plenum, they paint it with Eastwood (or equivalent) black wrinkle and then spray a light coat of the proper red enamel over it when the "base" coat is properly cured (they use an oven at 200 degrees F.). He also told me that he gets call all the time from restorers both pro and amateur asking about this. So we Alfisiti aren't the only ones.

I personally like a very tight wrinkle finish as opposed to a coarse
finish. I've mentioned this before, but a number of years ago there was
a yellow Zagato bodied Fiat 8V at Pebble Beach. It looked Marvelous,
except (in my opinion and I'm repeating myself) if an ant started
walking across the top of the dash and headed toward the other side, it
is doubtful he would make it in his lifetime. It had a rather coarse
black wrinkle finish.
On dashes I agree. On valve covers and other engine parts, a coarser coat looks more traditional. If you like, I'll send you some pictures of my engine and you can see the effect of the powder coat for yourself.

I very much like to hear how individuals have detailed various aspects
of their cars - especially engine bays.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

George, I'll show you my red head if you show me yours:
Biba, I'll take some shots tomorrow and e-mail them to you.

http://www.alfacybersite.com/BR67AlfaSpd.html
( those of you have visited before, I've just re-scanned and enlarged
the engine bay shot).
George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0'S'