I recommend this approach over all the others I've either seen or tried. The aerosol can type of wrinkle finish, in whatever color you find it, is, at best, a hit-or-miss proposition. It takes both skill and luck for it to work properly. For instance, I black wrinkle painted my GTV-6's air cleaner box cover and my PCV breather using Eastwood's black wrinkle paint and both came out beautifully. Couldn't ask for better. But when I tried the same trick on my brake booster cylinder, it was a disaster. Ditto when I tried to black wrinkle finish my side-mirror covers -both using the same Eastwood paint. Either the paint didn't wrinkle at all (brake booster) or it wrinkled unevenly (mirrors). Also this type of paint seems to work best when it's fresh. If it's been sitting on the shelf too long, it won't wrinkle correctly, or if you use part of a can and let it sit partially empty for a time and then come back and try to use it again, it won't wrinkle correctly then, either. Leave the wrinkle finishing to the powder coat professionals. Then it will be right.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0'S'

On Monday, October 13, 2003, at 10:34 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:56:17 -0700
From: alfacybersite <acs@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Engine cleaning (and detailing)

Anthony White asks about doing red crinkle / wrinkle paint for his cam
covers.

I purchased the paint from Eastwood at the time. Unfortunately they
don't offer red anymore. It's a shame since I've never found a better
wrinkle paint - and I've tried a lot. They still offer black - the color
choice of most.

Wonder what the Ferrari (Testa Rosa) guys use?

Not sure if you were having fun or really want to know regarding the,
"Is it something I could do in my shed at home, or do I need some tricky
equipment?", but I'll tell you anyway - assuming you can find red
somewhere.

Should you / someone have a collection of cam covers, this is a great
time to get rid of the one with those bloody holes for the broken clips
(I've never seen a cam cover with the clips in one piece). Remove pop
rivets, clean, (for best results) have bead or sand blasted, fill holes
with JB Weld (or the NZ equivalent) and sand smooth.

Preferably on a warm day set in the sun on a piece of cardboard, shake
the heck out of the can and put on two fairly heavy coats about 3
minutes apart. The nice thing about Eastwoods wrinkle is it doesn't sag
as readily as some (most) wrinkle paints. Even on warm days I've helped
the process along using a heat gun on low.

After it's thoroughly dry I use a small coarse 'buffing' disc (designed
for stripping off dried gasket gunk which I never use it for) on an
electric drill and 'grind' off the paint on Alfa Romeo logo. On the sent
out powder coated cam cover I had them polish the logo. They must have
used some type of flat buffer since the very top was polished without
disturbing any of the other coating.

I've seen samples of 'wrinkle' powder coating, but wasn't impressed.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA