[alfa] As the stud turns... conclusion!

Previously, on as the stud turns:

While attempting to change the rear brake disks on my 71 spider, a lug nut "spun out", refusing to loosen all the way off. On advice, the nut was eventually cracked off with a drill and chisel, ruining the stud underneath. The halfshaft was removed, but it was found there was not enough clearance to get the studs out without complex pullers to get bearings free.

And now, on As the Stud Turns:

Well, folks were right... there is *just* enough room to get the old studs out if you remove all the parking brake stuff. The "dent" in the backplate that gives the PB adjuster clearance is just perfect to wiggle the old studs out from.

Predictably, the new studs were a good 1/4" *longer* than the old, which meant the way I got the studs out was *not* going to be the way I got them in. Enter the parking brake cable hole. It is *just*, and I mean *just* wide enough to allow the stud head through. If you wiggle, push, swear, and pray a bit at it. You'll be tempted to use a hammer (I did for the first one), but you don't really need it.

Next came driving the studs home. I'm going to have an interesting set of bruises to explain to my wife tomorrow, because the first two I drove home by setting the halfshaft in my lap and hammering away through the PB cable hole (with the assistance of a punch). The bearing was in no danger... was pointing it away & the flange was taking all the force. Eventually I stumbled across a much better way to do it... a monster C-clamp with a deep well socket protecting the stud. The gear oil hint was very useful and highly recommended.

Of course, the parking brake had to go back on. Like all drum brakes, this combination of springs, shoes, and widgets is held together more or less through friction and the counterbalance of various springs. This makes it a kind of chinese puzzle... when it's all put together, it holds together fine, but until it's put together, it wants to spring apart in a dozen different directions. The PB actuator was the toughest part... a real rubick's cube made of two pins and two stamped metal bits. Fortunately you can *just* see this actuator through the hole in the rotor, so I was able to puzzle it together without disassembling the other side (again).

So now all I have to do is source a set of 12mm x 1.5 nuts. Seem common enough, but predictably my local wimpy parts store was out. Ah well.

Thanks to all who helped out! Couldn't have done it without you!