Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 22:49:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Richard Lane <srlane@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] align hone/bore?

I'm rebuilding a 2000 engine. Crank has been polished, main journals are
standard diameter, new bearing shells. I've checked all main journals with
Plastigauge and they are all around 0.0015". Standard thrust washers are
inserted.
So I lube the whole assembly, torque down the main caps, try to turn the crank
and....it won't budge.

So I reckon it's one of two things (please correct me if there are more
possibilities), - either my new thrust washers are the wrong size (said
"standard" on the packet but I don't yet have a dial gauge to check end-float
or lack of it) OR...my block needs align-boring. I was told this was usually
unnecessary on Alfa blocks but maybe that was wrong?? Anybody with similar
experience out there? all advice welcome.
Thanks

Richard Lane
GTV, San Jose, CA