[alfa] Spica injector numbering (differences) + more

Jon Pike has varying cones (on the ends of his Spica injectors).

Me too, on one set but not another. After careful examination, it turns
out I have three 2's and one 4 injector. Boy, do those cones vary. One
is quite dished, one has virtually none and is 'drilled' virtually
straight down to expose the 'spray tip'.

Got out another set I'd cleaned up last century and could read much
easier. They go from 1 to 4 and all cones are symmetrical. Believe this
is the set I'll use.

Possibly should have started here, but emailed Wes Ingram over the
weekend and had a reply this a.m.

Wes said, "The numbering isn't important other than for concours
correctness."

Sorry I bugged you folk about how to adjust the air equalizers on the
'69 1750 air boxes. Turns out there are pretty darn good instructions in
my Autobooks '62 - '78 Alfa owners workshop manual. I then remembered it
included the use of Tool No. C.20011. So went to my good friend Google
and found Morgan Carbtune in the UK.

Anyone have or used their non-mercury (but has four tubes as opposed to
dials) vacuum gauge? Not sure what they use in lieu of mercury, but
claim theirs are more accurate than the dial instrument type. Also
received a nice email from John Morgan this a.m. I asked if the Carbtune
would work on Alfas since they weren't motorcycles - if the idle vacuum
would be too different. He said it didn't work on low performance cars
since they give too high of readings. However cars like Alfa, Lotus, BMW
M3, Ferrari, Aston Martin work fine. Said he's sold a bunch to Alfa
owners and never had one returned. They're around $90, but figure I can
also use it on the non-Spica Alfetta GT.

Wes said he didn't use any gauge on '69 1750's for the idle set-up. He
recommended that I start by making sure the throttle plates are
completely closed with long rod removed. "Due to wear of the plates you
can shut down the idle air adjusters quite a bit. The idle adjusters
should be set last after all the other settings are correct. We use 4
long vacuum hoses and place the air box on the engine. It's easy enough
to set them individually without any special tools."

While not keen on the $90 part, I rather do like the idea of being able
to visually see that all idle adjusters are reading the same and even
more so on my non-Spica automobile.

Not sure if this is a problem for other '69 1750 owners, but possibly
this information might help if you have a too high or too low idle.

Apparently the cone mystery will have to stay just that.

Oops - "Unless you find a way to seal both ends of the injectors the
plating will destroy them," sez Wes. (It's get out the silver paint
time).

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA