From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of
Zachary Baker
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 5:39 PM
To: alfa@domain.elided
Subject: [alfa] Frwapping noise at 17000 RPM

I have an odd noise coming from the engine bay of my '89 Spider. It is a
quick buzz or rapping sound and happens only at 17000 RPM. It is not
always noticible when accelerating. It is a quick burst (about 1 second)
when the RPMs drop quickly, or a constant sound if I keep the RPMs right
at 17000. The noise does not happen haphazardly. It is there every time
I pass 17000 RPM except when accelerating quickly May be there even
then-just cannot hear it.
I have already checked for fan/shroud clearance. Doesn't look like that
is a problem.
I do have some exhaust noises, but this doesn't seem to be one of them.
I did just replace the clutch/bearing/throghout/pressure plate, but the
noise happens whether the clutch is in or out. In gear or out.

Has anyone had this problem?  Thanks in advance.

zach
'89 Spider (not pretty, but getting there)