[alfa] 101 Newbie - 1300 Engine rebuild, etc.

I'm somewhat new to the 101 universe at this point,
having just taken possession of my restoration project
last week. Already, the questions are starting to pile
up, and as the recommendations as to the best engine
configuration come in, the my expectations as far as
what I'll need to spend seems to be piling up as well.

The big question I'm asking myself is what carbs are
acceptable. Several folks have told me to absolutely,
under no circumstances use the original solex
downdraft. Point taken. I am pretty certain I am going
to use a set of side drafts, but not sure whether
there is a compelling reason to use Webers other than
the fact that it's easier to get parts here in the
states... DelOrtos sound like pretty good carbs to me,
and I've been pretty happy with the Solexes on my
Giulia Super 1300.

Second, what are 101 folks doing about oil pumps? It's
a little scary to me that there are no new pumps
available. Building engines in the past, it was a
given that I'd install, often heavy duty, pump. Does
anyone have a handle on this? Recs on possible rebuild
parts providers? Any leads on NOS pumps?

Another question is what to do about the head. I
talked to an Alfa performance shop today, and they
explained that I'd be better off investing my money in
Veloce headers and Webers that in having the head
ported. This sounds reasonable to me, but I just
wanted to get a second opionion. Anyone built an
Abnormale with webers, veloce headers and a stock
head? Is this penny wise and pound foolish?

Any other more advice about 101's - whether engine
related or general would be appreciated...

yours
Brian